Monday 30 June 2008

MONDSEE AND ST. WOLFGANG

MONDSEE


About 1am it absolutely lashed it down and although it had stopped by this morning it was a bit overcast. We had planned to go up to the Dachstein mountains but decided against it. Instead we went to Mondsee. I have been there twice before, the last time being a quick visit last year when we went on the Sound of Music coach trip. It is funny how your memory can play tricks on you, but I had in my head that the lake at Mondsee was very boring and the area quite flat, and I suppose compared to the other lakes it does tend to have rolling hills rather than mountains, that is only by Austian standards though. Anyway, it turned out to be a gorgeous day by the time we got there and after having a quick stroll round the village we went to the lake. It was a revelation to me, far from being boring I found it really beautiful and I just didn't remember it at all! John found a walk on his map which took us just short of half way round the lake then up into the hills and through the woods and back down through the Village.









I am not a religious person but you can't visit Mondsee without going into the church, the church is the one that featured in the Sound of Music. From the outside it doesn't look much but the inside is just amazing. Last year they were renovating a lot of the interior but that was not finished and the whole thing was looking beautiful and pristine. I don't think you have to be religious to be able to appreciate the craftmanship and the beauty of the interior.















We popped into the Konditori and immediately I saw this. Well it turned out to be like the cake I had been dreaming about since last year that I had in Gmunden only that one was a round tart shape. It was gorgeous - a real leg jiggler. John had the Sachertorte but said it was a little on the dry side so was a bit disappointed.




ST. WOLFGANG


It was another gorgeous evening and as there was some sort of event on in St. Wolfgang we decided to eat out. There were stalls set up all down the main street and a couple of bands playing. It was a really great atmosphere and we stayed quite a while just strolling and listening to the music. It is a very picturesque place and I have included just a couple of photos.

The shop above sells all different hand made soaps and smells gorgeous.


I couldn't resist this Gingerbread House below, It is the sort of place I would love to live in.


Here is a picture of one of the bands that were playing, complete with leder hosen, mmmm nice knees.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Absolutley beuatiful photos Val. Said to DH last night I really want to go there on hols one day! he agrees!!

Your photos are going to make the most fabulous scrapbook - so don't you come home and tell us you have nothing but the cats to scrap!! LOL

We will have to wait a few years till the kids don't want to come with us - cos they would HATE all the sight seeing I would want to do!!

They would love the cakes though! lol